DHCP 4.1.1 performing DDNSv6 updates with wrong hostname. Why?

Brett Lee brettlee at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 26 04:28:08 UTC 2010

> > Brett Lee wrote:
>
> > the DHCP/DNS server.  This is probably a config issue on my part, but am at a
> > loss to why.
> > >
> > > Current config starts with:
> > > ddns-hostname           solaris10u4sparc;
> >
> > There's your problem - you've globally told the DHCP server that the client is
>
> > called solaris10u4sparc !
> >
> > -- Simon Hobson
>
> Simon and David - Thank you both for your suggestion(s) - makes perfect sense
> after the fact.  Now that I've removed the ddns-hostname definition, no DDNS
> occurs.  Seems like the client must provide a hostname, but am not seeing that
> sent.  Have tried

oops - hit the wrong button.  Hadn't tried the DHCPv6 client with WIN2K8 in the past couple days, but when I did, DDNS worked just fine, forward and reverse, with DDNS updates from both the server and the client.  YEAH!  If anyone has known good DDNSv6 client configs, or even known good clients, I'd be grateful to hear.  FWIW, this is the best summary I've seen:

http://ipv6int.net/software/index.html#dhcpv6

Many thanks!  -Brett