dhclient -6 and router advertisement M/O bits

adrian mamolea adrian_mamolea at verizon.net
Wed Jan 27 15:48:17 UTC 2010

Dear All,

For IPv6, RFC 4861, section  4.2,  defines RA M and O bits as follows:

 M   1-bit "Managed address configuration" flag. When
        set, it indicates that addresses are available via
       Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol [DHCPv6
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4861#ref-DHCPv6>].

      If the M flag is set, the O flag is redundant and
      can be ignored because DHCPv6 will return all
      available configuration information.

O   1-bit "Other configuration" flag. When set, it
      indicates that other configuration information is
     available via DHCPv6. Examples of such information
     are DNS-related information or information on other
     servers within the network.

 Note: If neither M nor O flags are set, this indicates that no
 information is available via DHCPv6.

The statement above seems to define an implicit relationship
between the processing of the RA and starting and configuring
dhclient. (I say implicit because I don't see any MUST or SHOULD
to make it a requirement).

Using Linux and ISC DHCP (currently I use Linux kernel 2.6.21 and
dhclient 4.1.1), is there a way to implement the behavior described
in  the quote above from RFC 4861?

Thanks,
Adrian