help with dhcpv6 over pppv6 on linux

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Fri Jan 29 20:20:32 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 08:17:02AM +0000, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Unless things have changed from V3, PPP interfaces are not supported. I
> forget the precise details, but it's related to not being a broadcast
> interface.
>
> I think only Ethernet, Token Ring, and possibly IEEE1498 (aka Firewire) are
> supported (not sure about the last one).

DHCPv6 is different; it requires multicast and link local addresses,
which IPv6 specifies to be required on all media layers.  PPP
meanwhile "WILL NOT" be extended with an IPv6 LCP, so if nodes will
be dynamically assigned addresses on PPP interfaces that only leaves
DHCPv6.

I think ISC DHCP 4 'dhclient -6' should properly perform the interface
detection to operate on all interfaces except loopback.

I have not personally confirmed that however, I rely upon testers...
but it would be a bug if it didn't.

We also don't have any of the "Raw Socket" baggage with DHCPv6
because of the multicast and link-local address elements of design.

--
David W. Hankins	BIND 10 needs more DHCP voices.
Software Engineer		There just aren't enough in our heads.