DHCP Performance (was: Large leases file and long startup time)

Jason Antman jantman at oit.rutgers.edu
Thu Jul 1 20:17:57 UTC 2010

We're starting to get into some more depth troubleshooting DHCP
performance issues - not just startup, but running as well. Our DHCP
server (yes, singular) supports a network with approx. 15,000 users, all
DHCP'ed. During peak times (usually once or twice a day), we see upwards
of 2-3k requests in a 15-30 minute interval.

We've been running DHCPerf
(http://www.nominum.com/services/measurement_tools.php) against a
testing box, and we're seeing pretty poor performance - something on the
order of only 1 request per second being handled within a 4 second window.

Does anyone else out there have an idea of the load that their dhcpd
instance is handling? Has anyone else with sustained loads around 1-3
RPS had issues? Is anyone else running something on the order of 400+
subnets and 10000+ clients?

Thanks,
Jason Antman

Rutgers University