"Healthy" servers issuing leases for length of MCLT

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Sat Jul 10 08:07:39 UTC 2010

On 07/10/10 11:23, Matt Causey wrote:
> I checked my config.  It's similar....and we're seeing the same behavior.
>
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Oscar Ricardo Silva
> <oscars at mail.utexas.edu>  wrote:
>> We have a pair of servers running in failover mode and they appear to be
>> healthy and communicating with each other.  The problem is that while we
>> have the lease time set to 7 days, leases are only handed out for the length
>> of the MCLT.  I understand this is the expected behavior when the pair of
>> servers are not communicating but these servers are in a normal state.
>>
>> And yes, I know the split statement is set to 255 but we do this to force
>> preference onto the primary server.  We have two other failover pairs
>> running in the same manner without problem.
>>
>> I've verified that there are no crazy time differences between the two.
>>   I've also restarted one server at a time and waited for them to
>> re-establish communication.
>>
>> Any thoughts on why leases for the length of the MCLT are being handed out
>> on a supposedly healthy pair of servers?
>>

>> Oscar
>>

>> Primary:
>>

>> default-lease-time 604800;
>> max-lease-time 604800;
>>
>> #! failover definition
>> failover peer "dhcpfailover" {
>>          primary;
>>          address 172.20.97.213;
>>          port 520;
>>          peer address 172.21.197.52;
>>          peer port 520;
>>          max-response-delay 60;
>>          max-unacked-updates 10;
>>          mclt 900;
>>          split 255;
>>          load balance max seconds 5;
>>        }
>>

>> include "/dhcpd/dhcpd.master";
>>

>> Secondary:
>>
>> #! failover definition
>> failover peer "dhcpfailover" {
>>          secondary;
>>          address 172.21.197.52;
>>          port 520;
>>          peer address 172.20.97.213;
>>          peer port 520;
>>          max-response-delay 60;
>>          max-unacked-updates 10;
>>          load balance max seconds 5;
>>        }
>>
>> include "/dhcpd/dhcpd.master";

The initial response to a DHCP DISCOVER will be to issue a lease of
MCLT, then the next renew will be your specified lease time. It works
this way because the DHCPOFFER is sent before communicating to the
partner server.

-glenn
--
Glenn Satchell                            |  Miss 9: What do you
Uniq Advances Pty Ltd, Sydney Australia   |  do at work Dad?