Active Session Management via OMAPI

Bryan Cheng bcheng at rescomp.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 20 21:06:03 UTC 2010

Hi,

We're a small team working at the University of California, Berkeley on an
implementation of our open-source network access control software designed
to regulate our wireless network and our in-room connections.

We are investigating replacing our current (filesystem-based) session store
system with the ISC dhcp server. In this setup, a pair of dhcp servers in a
failover configuration communicate with perl scripts running on our captive
portals. While the dhcp servers do not actively grant leases to our clients,
we use the information contained in the return dhcp packet in order to
determine which ip address to allocate to a given client. This allows us to
take advantage of features in the dhcp server, such as failover, session
management, ip address allocation, and omapi, for the purposes of
facilitating a high-availability configuration for our captive portals.

However, the version of the dhcp server that we run (3.1) does not support
recovering a list of all active sessions over omapi. Examining the release
notes for later versions does not seem to indicate that this support was
added. Are there plans to include support for this in later revisions of the
omapi implementation?

Additionally, we were wondering what methods, if any, others have used in
order to obtain a complete list of all active leases on a given dhcp server.

Thanks,

Bryan Cheng