Randomize DNS servers

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Jun 8 21:32:57 UTC 2010

Hi,

> I have several DNS servers that are lower performance than I would
> like.  Until such time as I can afford to replace them, is there a way
> in DNS (serving around 2000 clients) that I can assign a group of DNS
> servers, and assign them randomly?  I.E., one user gets DNS1 & DNS2,
> another clent gets DNS3 & DNS1, and the next gets DNS3 & DNS2.

regarding basic client stuff, you could do this with DHCP classes...so
different networks or bits of network get told to use different addresses.

if doing this purely in DNS and dealing with masters etc you could use
views in BIND.   not sure how low spec the servers are but 2000 clients
doesnt sound like much.  what else are these servers doing? what
version of BIND are you running on them? is there some other issue such
as lookups?

alan