Large leases file and long startup time

Jason Antman jantman at oit.rutgers.edu
Wed Jun 30 13:08:47 UTC 2010

Hello,

We're running DHCPd (currently 3.0.5) to serve a bunch of networks that
are mostly static, some dynamic. At the moment, it's 431 subnets, 1762
clients. We're currently using 3.0.5 with Masney's LDAP patch, but have
been having some serious startup time issues - on the order of 5
minutes. I did some investigation with static configs (compiled exactly
from what's in LDAP) and the time is more or less the same. It appears
that the bottleneck is reading the leases file, which is on the order of
2.3M on our production boxes (with only about 10% max of our clients
active).

Has anyone else found similar issues? Is there any conceivable solution
- reading the leases file from a database, or storing it in something
more optimized than a text file?

Thanks for any advice,
Jason Antman

--