dhcp-4.1.1 usage

Chris Verges chrisv at cyberswitching.com
Wed Mar 3 01:52:19 UTC 2010

> Specifically, the following flags: -q, -g, -n, -w, and --version.
When
> looking at the main() routine, these flags are checked but not printed
> in the usage information.  Just a bug, or something more intentional?

Also in the way of usage/documentation, I'd propose updating the man
page to the following to reflect the actual behavior of the -n flag:

Original:
The DHCP client can be directed not to attempt to configure any
interfaces using the -n flag.  This is most likely to be useful in
combination with the -w flag.

Proposed:
The DHCP client can be directed not to attempt to configure any
interfaces using the -n flag.  This is most likely to be useful in
combination with the -w flag.  If -n is specified as an argument, do not
list any interfaces (if0...ifN arguments).

The actual behavior seems to be that dhclient will error at
initialization if -n and an iface name (eth0) are passed at the same
time.  Upon reading the man page the first time, I assumed that -n would
simply not ifup/ifdown the interface.  Testing revealed that to be an
incorrect assumption, obviously.  :-)

Chris