Question about logging Option 82

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Wed Mar 10 01:01:16 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 06:42:59PM +0600, Anton wrote:
> but in no success logged nothing needful:
>
> Mar  5 18:24:19 myhost daemon.err dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:02:44:1d:7e:ea via eth0: network
> 192.168.70.16/28: no free leases

Basically "executable statements" like conditionals or function calls
that perform an operation (log(), execute(), etc) are only executed
when the "execute_statements_in_scope()" function is called in the
DHCP software.

That's only done when the software is trying to source configuration
to return to the client.

Because there is no DHCP protocol answer for a DHCPDISCOVER that the
server cannot currently answer (because it cannot allocate a lease),
it never gets to the point where it wants to determine configuration
image for the client, so the function is never called.

I can't really think of a good workaround.

--
David W. Hankins	BIND 10 needs more DHCP voices.
Software Engineer		There just aren't enough in our heads.