[SPAM] Broadcast address leased to a client *Again*

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 17:01:09 UTC 2010

Daniel D. Gonçalves wrote:

>I configured a network 10.1.0.0/16:
>
>subnet 10.1.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 {
>     pool {
>         range 10.1.0.2 10.1.255.254;
>     }
>
>The problem is that some customers take the final IP "0" and "255".
>What should I do to not get these IPs ?

As Justin Demaris says, it **should** not cause a
problem - they are NOT broadcast or network
addresses. The network address (note singular) is
10.1.0.0, the broadcast address (again, note
singular) is 10.1.255.255. That is basic level IP
addressing stuff.

Addresses in between (eg 10.1.34.255) are not
broadcast addresses even if they end in 0 or 255.

However, there have been reports on this list in
the past that some devices running bad code do
"get it wrong" when presented with such an
address/netmask - and if you have any such
devices then you may want to exclude them from
your pool (as others have described).

--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP
360-PS printer (Canon part no RH6-3612, or
possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a
dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the
disk and re-install the printer OS on it.
This is NOT the same thing as the printer drivers
to load on the computer - there's no problem
there.
If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd
be grateful - requests to Canon drew a blank,
it's been out of support for years.
Alternatively, if anyone has one of these and
would let me image their hard disk ...