Logging questions

Tim Gavin livewire98801 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 18:34:49 UTC 2010

I have two questions pertaining to logging.  I've looked through the
archives, but can't make sense of the responses.  I think it's because
everyone's trying to do more with it than I want to do.

First question:

I'm about to start getting option 82 information from our layer two
vendor network (I admin a ISP fiber network), and it appears that
people have issues getting that info logged into the syslog.  Is this
something I have to add, or is it only when people use fancy logging
scripts that this is an issue?  If it's something I have to add,
what's the easiest way to do it?

Second (less critical) question:

The MACs are logged in "computer standard" format of
aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff.  This is all well and good normally, but all of my
equipment, and all of our vendor's equipment is Cisco. That means I
have to reformat every MAC when flipping back and forth between
routers/switches and the DHCP server.  Is there any way I can change
the logging format to aabb.ccdd.eeff ?

Thanks :)

Tim