Class match and known

Andre Schubert andre at km3.de
Thu Mar 25 13:57:45 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:16:13 -0700
"David W. Hankins" <dhankins at isc.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 09:11:33AM +0100, Andre Schubert wrote:
> > Ok, what i want is a class that is matched if the client is known.
>
> Sorry, that won't work.  :(
>
> Class matching is unfortunately done in a stage of processing
> prior to host record lookups (when the known bit is conditionally
> set if a host record is found).
>
> Can you describe more abstractly the input/output or consequence
> you are trying for?  I am going to guess that you want the class
> record to carry some information for the group of host records?
>
> In this case, you can simply use a group {} statement surrounding
> the host records so that they all inherit the same configuration
> value;
>
>   group {
>     option domain-name "eng.example.com";
>     option domain-search "example.com", "eng.example.com";
>
>     host a {
>       hardware ethernet 00:1e:69:a9:c6:05;
>       fixed-address 10.0.5.250;
>     }
>     host b ...
>   }

Thank you for the information.
Tha problem is, that i have to migrate some dhcp-server from 3.0.5 to 4.1.0,
and the configs are pretty old and from another guy, who leaves our company.
After several test, i stumbled over the problem with the class-match and
the known statement. Thatswhy i asked the question and got some really
useful information from you.

Best Regards,
Andre