dhcp does not an nsupdate

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Mar 31 08:52:09 UTC 2010

Markus Feldmann wrote:

 From the previous post, in your log it says :

>Unable to add forward map from feld-bert.feldland.lan.feldland.lan
>to 192.168.0.196: connection refused

"connection refused" is a bit of a giveaway.

>I still tried the following test update.
>
>feld-server:/etc/bind# nsupdate -k Kfeld-server.feldland.lan.+157+34326.key
>>  server localhost
>>  update add feld-bert.feldland.lan 86400 A 192.168.0.196
>>  send
>; Communication with 127.0.0.1#53 failed: timed out could not talk
>to specified name server
>
>whereby <server feld-server> or <server 192.168.0.186> works. How
>can i change this behaviour? The normal Zone update should be work
>over localhost.

Is BIND configured to listen on localhost ?

I don't see any "listen-on" directives in the named.conf you posted -
but then we don't know what command line options are being passed in
your installations init script, nor what is in
/etc/bind/named.conf.local

In summary, this is a BIND, not a DHCPD, problem. It very much looks
like BIND is not listening on the loopback interface.

"netstat -anp" may be useful in seeing what is listening on what
addresses/ports.
--
Simon Hobson