Production Deployment -- Version Questions

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed May 26 19:36:22 UTC 2010

> Thanks for the help.  I think I'd like to go with 4.1.1, until 4.2.x
> becomes stable.  Using 4.1.x, which is whats coming with RHEL6, should
> make things easier for future admins down the road, when they have to
> move the custom built DHCP from RHEL5 to stock on RHEL6 :-)
>
> While the failover protocol changes are probably not very interesting,
> are they still significant enough to make failover perform much better
> in 3.1.x and 4.1.x, versus 3.0.x?  Failover being better in something
> later than 3.0.x makes my decision much easier :-)

>From my point of view, the most important failover related differences
are that many bugs have been fixed. Bugs which could make dhcpd crash,
make the servers in a failover pair unable regain synchronization after
a network partition has been healed, etc.

We're running 4.1.1, and it's extremely stable for us. Knowing (and
having experienced) quite a few of the bugs which have been fixed, I
wouldn't dream of going back to earlier versions. The fact that 4.1.1
supports IPv6 is a nice plus.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no