Can I specify an IAID in the dhcpd.conf file?

John.Gibbins at csiro.au John.Gibbins at csiro.au
Wed Nov 3 04:35:34 UTC 2010

My understanding is that DHCPv6 allocates out IPv6 addresses based on the combination of the IAID and DUID.  Unfortunately I can't find any way to specify the IAID in the config file when defining a fixed IPv6 address.  I can specify the DUID via dhcp6.client-id.

Have I missed something somewhere or is this capability not present in the ISC dhcpd server?  I'm new to this list, but I checked the archives and couldn't find much reference to IAIDs.

We generate config file entries from our internal database to limit what machines can work on our network (at least without deliberate attempts to circumvent the system).  A typical entry looks something like:

host mymachine {
     host-identifier option dhcp6.client-id 00:01:00:01:13:4c:1a:10:00:11:23:45:67:89;
     fixed-address6 2001:db8::1:2345;
}

The above format works fine for most systems, except for a number of machines that have multiple NICs on the same subnet.  We don't want both NICs being allocated the same address so we need to distinguish based on IAID.  At this stage, most clients are Windows 7 boxes but that shouldn't make a difference.

thanks
johng
--
John Gibbins
Acting Team Leader | IT Security Operations

PLEASE NOTE