Failover Configuration

Nathan McDavit-Van Fleet nmcdavit at alcor.concordia.ca
Tue Nov 9 14:16:33 UTC 2010

I am trying to configure a failover configuration with DHCP 4.1.1. I
programmed each server with the failover and assigned it to a test subnet.
However, no matter what I do it just stays in recovery mode and never
assigns IP addresses. I left it for a good 20 minutes and neither started
assigning IPs. The primary says that it is "not responding (recovering)" and
the secondary says that the "peer holds all free leases".

I read that changing the mclt might shorten the beginning recovery period so
I set it to 60 seconds. It did not change anything and it never got out of
recovery.

I also deleted both dhcpd.leases files and it was still stuck in recovery.

Is this something to do with the first time the servers have connected to
each other? Does it do this every time they start out. When can it be
expected to start working?

SELinux also shows that the ports 647 and 847 are open for DHCPD. I also
tried 647 & 647 with no effect.

Here is my configuration:
//primary.ca
failover peer "dhcp-failover" {
  primary; # declare this to be the primary server
  address primary.ca;
  port 647;
  peer address secondary.ca;
  peer port 847;
  max-response-delay 30;
  max-unacked-updates 10;
  load balance max seconds 3;
  mclt 1800;
  split 128;
}

//secondary.ca
failover peer "dhcp-failover" {
  secondary; # declare this to be the secondary server
  address secondary.ca;
  port 847;
  peer address primary.ca;
  peer port 647;