DHCP Drops Packets

Nathan McDavit-Van Fleet nmcdavit at alcor.concordia.ca
Thu Nov 11 21:44:56 UTC 2010

Hello All,
For some reason it appears as if our DHCP server 4.1.2 is not responding to
packets. We Wiresharked in front of the DHCP server and saw that ~10
Discover packets were going into the server. Unfortunately only one of those
packets made it to the DHCP log itself. We've had similar issues with
DHCPRequest packets as well. We've been seeing a big delay for clients
trying to get an IP address.
Is this to do with the load of on the server itself? I haven't found a
dependable recommendation for load averages, but for example our leases file
is 4.1MB and our lease time is 3600 seconds with about 3000 users or so.
I also tcpdump'd the server and at least MORE of the packets made it to the
interface than made it to DHCPD. I disabled iptables, added 255.255.255.255
to my hosts file and verified SELinux had the exceptions needed.
Past that I don't know where to turn.  Hopefully someone here has a suggest.

Thanks,
-Nathan