DHCP option 120 (SIP Server)

Chandra Gorentla chandragorentla at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 16 06:45:16 UTC 2010

Hello All, Greetings!While searching Internet for a possible solution for an issue I have with DHCP server option 120 (SIP Server), I came across this email thread 'https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/2009-December/010523.html'.  I also have a similar problem.  I request your comments/suggestions on my problem.  My problem description is below - I am having a DHCP client that receives SIP server address option from a CISCO's DHCP server.  I configured the DHCP server and its SIP server option in the Cisco by using the following commands. ip dhcp pool p1   network 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0   default-router 10.0.0.1   option 120 ip 160.100.1.79   lease 0 0 2 My DHCP client (ISC's DHCP client source hacked to just see the option format) requests the option 120 (SIP Server option) in parameter request list of the DHCP requests. My client is getting this information.  But it is not in the format specified by the RFC 3361 (SIP server option (120) of DHCP).  I see encoding field of the server option is missing in the DHCP offer message from the Cicso DHCP server. I request your comments on the following - - Is it because of a problem in my configuration of Cisco's DHCP server?- Is there any exception to RFC 3361, that allow a server to skip encoding field?- Is it a problem in the Cisco's DHCP server?- How did you solve your problem (reported here https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/2009-December/010523.html) which is nearly similar to my problem? Thanks in advance,chandra