Crossing failover peers

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Tue Nov 23 16:11:54 UTC 2010

To make it short, in two sites, we have two servers, A & B.
On A we are using a failover context called A-to-B, also used on B.
This is working very well.

On B, we are trying to use a failover context called B-to-A, and to use
it on A, in different shared-networks and pools.

When restarting, my log files get full of blocking failover errors that
lead me to investigate.

According to what I've read (and for some parts from what I've
experienced), I'm understanding the following:
- I'm using V3.0.5-RedHat version (under RHEL5.3) of ISC DHCP, and at
this stage, failover support was not as brilliant as it is now.
- Though I tried to use different port numbers amongst my different
failover contexts, this does not help much.
- From 3.1.1, the DHCP daemon manages much better the way failover
communication works between peers.

Can anyone tell me if all this is true?

And eventually, if upgrading all my DHCP daemon is worth the pain to
expect getting the failover peers crossing available?

Thank you.

--
Nicolas Ecarnot