DHCP 4.2.0 DDNS and OMAPI Bugs (RHEL5.5 x86_64)

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Wed Sep 1 20:52:00 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 05:02:07PM -0400, Joshua West wrote:
> The first issue is DDNS updates no longer work.  The error I receive in
> /var/log/messages is :
>
> dhcpd: Unable to add forward map from myhost.mydomain.com to 1.2.3.4: not found

Not found, interesting.

I would guess it's having problems finding the zone or TSIG definition
for 'mydomain.com'.

Unfortunately all we have at this point in logging is an ISC result code
binary number ("ISC_R_NOTFOUND").  What returned it is a mystery.

You could try setting 'DEBUG_DNS_UPDATES' but my intuition is it's
not getting that far.

> Perhaps this has something to do with the BIND libraries compiled in for
> async DDNS updates starting in 4.2.0?

Most likely.

> I cannot build DHCP 4.2.0 with the
> RHEL 5.5 supplied bind-libbind-devel / bind-devel packages (aka
> --with-libbind=/usr) as they are for an older version of BIND than 9.7.x.

We currently only build with the library we include, and link them in
statically (this is why 'dhcpd' got huge in 4.2.0).  How we want to
solve trying to figure out if system-level shared libraries are up to
snuff is still in the air.

> dhcpctl_connect: operation in progress

I spotted this too.  We'll fix this in maintenance.  I don't know of
any workaround.

> In addition, dhcpd then spikes to 100% CPU usage.

I didn't notice that!

--
David W. Hankins	BIND 10 needs more DHCP voices.
Software Engineer		There just aren't enough in our heads.