DHCP 4.2.0 DDNS and OMAPI Bugs (RHEL5.5 x86_64)

Joshua West jwest at brandeis.edu
Thu Sep 2 13:45:04 UTC 2010

  On 09/02/10 04:07, Tom Schmitt wrote:
>> Datum: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 13:52:00 -0700
>> Von: "David W. Hankins"<dhankins at isc.org>
>
>>> dhcpd: Unable to add forward map from myhost.mydomain.com to 1.2.3.4:
>>> not found
>> Not found, interesting.
>>
>> I would guess it's having problems finding the zone or TSIG definition
>> for 'mydomain.com'.
>>
>> Unfortunately all we have at this point in logging is an ISC result code
>> binary number ("ISC_R_NOTFOUND").  What returned it is a mystery.
>>
>> You could try setting 'DEBUG_DNS_UPDATES' but my intuition is it's
>> not getting that far.
>>

> I got the same error in my logfile with dhcpd 4.2.0. In my case it was a simple typo in the config: I defined a key called "mykey", but in the zone-statement I configured the key "MYKEY".
>
> After correcting this, the error was gone.
>
> "dhcpd -t -cf dhcpd.conf" doesn't help here: It reported my config as correct even with the use of an undefined key. In my opinion that should be reported as an error.
>
> Tom.

Hmm interesting.  In my case however, I'm not using any TSIG, and I do
have the 'ddns-domainname' defined.  Is this a situation where I need
ddns-domainname to end in a '.' ?  Or must I use TSIG for DDNS updates
in 4.2.0?

dhcpd -t -cf dhcpd.conf also shows things are OK here with my config.

Tom -- are you running on RHEL5?

--
Joshua West
Senior Systems Engineer