[ewg] DHCP over InfiniBand Update

Hal Rosenstock hal.rosenstock at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 13:15:50 UTC 2010

Hi Sébastien,

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 9:03 AM, sebastien dugue
<sebastien.dugue at bull.net> wrote:
>  Hi Hal,
>
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:09:19 -0400
> Hal Rosenstock <hal.rosenstock at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> There appear to be two basic approaches to supporting DHCP (over
>> InfiniBand) in Linux. There's LPF support (4.1.1 based) and older
>> (3.0.4 based) socket support.
>>
>> The 4.1.1 LPF patches are:
>> http://lists.openfabrics.org/pipermail/ewg/2010-May/015265.html
>> http://lists.openfabrics.org/pipermail/ewg/2010-May/015266.html
>> http://lists.openfabrics.org/pipermail/ewg/2010-May/015264.html
>> The last being Matthieu Hautreux's <matthieu.hautreux at cea.fr>
>> improved XID generation (same as
>> https://lists.isc.org/mailman/htdig/dhcp-hackers/2009-January/001773.html).
>>
>> AFAIT an LPF based approach will only work on older kernels (due to
>> elimination of CONFIG_FILTER support). Is this accurate ?
>
>  Where have you seen that the LPF approach does not work on recent kernels?
> AFAICR, the CONFIG_FILTER disappeared a long time ago. Unless I'm missing
> something, you only need the CONFIG_PACKET option.

The question was based on the README and some code in lpf.c but it
sounds those comments relating to CONFIG_FILTER relate to 2.4 and not
to 2.6 based kernels then. All that is needed with a 2.6 kernel is
CONFIG_PACKET so the PF_PACKET socket can be created and used by lpf.
Right ?

Out of curiousity, why did you choose a PF_PACKET rather than a UDP
socket based approach ? The UDP socket approach seems simpler but
maybe has some other pitfalls.

Thanks again.

-- Hal