Performance issue ( maybe )

Bjarne Blichfeldt bjb at jndata.dk
Tue Sep 7 07:58:07 UTC 2010

ok the plot thickens..

Agreed on checking the network, but so far everything seems to be in order, spanning tree, half/full duplex,
no errors on the interfaces, no one else having issues, ftp from dhcp1 to dhcp2 runs close to 100Mb. No abnormal traffic.

However, as Tom brought to my attention, there are an awful lot of pool balancing going on. So here is a thought:
what if the pool balancing creates so much load on the dhcpservice, that the failover connection is lost ? That will create a
runaway situation.

The situation last week seems to have escalated after a configuration change. We do configuration changes by
1. pushing a new config to the primary server, then restart dhcpd.
2. pushing a new config to the secondary server, the restrt dhcpd

In both cases, we get communications-interrupted.

My failover clause is :

failover peer "ipc-dhcp1-ipc-dhcp2" {
        primary;
        address 10.11.90.73;
        port 647;
        peer address 10.11.90.74;
        peer port 647;
        max-response-delay 90;
        max-unacked-updates 20;
        mclt 1800;
        split 128;
        load balance max seconds 5;
   }

That means defaults for :
min-balance 60;
max-balance 3600;

Tom Schmitt mentioned 2 hours, I assume min-balance time.

My initial tought is to increase our values to:
min-balance 1800;
max-balance 7200;

> regards,
> -glenn