netreg Revisited

Joshua West jwest at brandeis.edu
Fri Apr 1 19:06:08 UTC 2011

Hi Martin,

I've written a Netreg system for where I work (Brandeis University).
Handles its magic the same way you outlined... Short DHCP lease time for
unknown clients and OMAPI to update the DHCP failover pool pair when a
device does get registered (or unregistered :-)). I also built in
support for DDNS, so users can nickname their device, and get
username-nickname.dyn.brandeis.edu hostname wherever they roam.

Screenshots are here: http://people.brandeis.edu/~jwest/netreg/

Though the screenshots may be a little old. Currently working on the
next release of our Netreg, which includes moving from ISC DHCP 4.1.x to
4.2.1 (DDNS async updates == win).