maximum lease times?

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Apr 19 19:16:54 UTC 2011

hi,

sorry for a rather bland question but does anyone know
of any possible issues with slightly longer lease times and
OS support?  I'm looking at a wierd issues where clients are
just 'dropping' their IP rather than renewing. initial inspection
found the DHCP config for the VLAN to have a lease tim eof 259200 (3 days)
- the usual range we have is 86400 - so, rather knee-jerk reaction
was taken - that VLAN was set to 86400 too (1 day) - but I was wondering
if there were random OS issues that people have come across
with clients...some war stories from the wounded? - in theory
DHCP lease times can be inifite...or seconds rather than minutes..
but the server is accessible - we see DHCP renewals , ACKs etc all through
the day - even from other systems in the same LAN that other systems drop
off from at same time-period.

many thanks

alan