DHCPRELEASE on a bootP Address

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon Aug 8 07:34:13 UTC 2011

> On Fri, 5 Aug 2011, Brent L. Bates wrote:
>
>>     Just a data point.  I checked our logs and we see "not found" ONLY
>> for
>> `static' leases.
>
> Static leases are best handled outside of dhcpd pools to avoid IP clashes.
> Or within the pools with a "reserved" statement in the leases file.  It
> would seen normal for a static lease to be "not found".  But why would a
> statically configured IP be sending a DHCPRELEASE packet anyway?
> --
> David Forrest
> St. Louis, Missouri

A static lease (more correctly a fixed-address lease) is a short cut on
the server where it always sends the same IP for a request from that
client. On the client it thinks it is a normal dhcp client and behaves
exactly the same, so that a dhcp-release might be sent when the system
shuts down, or the user manually unconfigures the network for example.

regards,
-glenn