Infinite Leases

Michael McNally mcnally at isc.org
Mon Aug 15 19:40:42 UTC 2011

On 8/15/11 10:25 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:

> Some device manufacturers are a pain aren't they. Years ago I couldn't
> get a network copier to accept a lease and ended up manually configuring
> it. I found out some time later that it had a requirement of a minimum 2
> year lease time. Seems both pointless and arbitrary to me.

It's not just you -- that *is* pointless and arbitrary.

I'm constantly mystified by decisions like that whenever
I stop to consider that someone actually expended *extra*
effort to make it work that way.

There are a lot of annoying product defects that arise
from a failure to consider possibilities.  A condition
such as the one you describe, however, doesn't come about
by accident but has to be the result of deliberate thought
on the matter followed by coding to enforce the rejection
of leases that don't meet the minimum length criterion.

Somehow that irritates me far more than the idea that
someone simply missed an edge case somewhere or had an
error in their implementation.