OT: DHCP IP address lockdown

Paul Reilly astropaul at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 19:07:25 UTC 2011

Hello,

This is slightly off-topic, but I'm guessing people here will know the
answer.

We have a large DHCP pool, and 99% of people use the IP we allocate them,
but some statically assign whatever IP they want to their machines. We
cannot lock down the client machines as they can be anything (linux, mac,
windows, mobile etc).  We are using 802.1x so users authenticate to access
the network.I know we can lock our cisco ports down to a single MAC
address, but this doesn't prevent a person setting their own IP address
manually. How do others solve this problem?  Can it be solved at the
network level?  I want users to only get network access using the IP
address we assign them.

Thanks.
Paul