DHCP client daemon autostart for both v4 and v6

Jiri Popelka jpopelka at redhat.com
Fri Dec 23 08:54:39 UTC 2011

Hi Mike,

generally there should be some network service
that starts the client (or clients, cause you
need two instances, for v4 and v6) for you.
And how to configure it to do that depends on
the OS you use, so this question should
actually be posted on a forum for your OS (linux distro ?).

For example on RHEL/Fedora one could use 'NetworkManager service' (default)
which has pretty GUI where you set that you want also IPv6
and that the interface should be configured automatically or with DHCP only.
Or there's also (off by default) 'network service' (aka initscripts) which
is configured via /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<iface>
where you put 'DHCPV6C=yes' line and that tells the service to run
another instance of dhclient with '-6' option.
Other linux distributions (should) have something similar.

--
Jiri