DHCP client daemon autostart for both v4 and v6

Łukasz Siemiradzki lukasz.siemiradzki at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 22:48:56 UTC 2011

2011/12/23 Mike Pugh <mdpugh at hotmail.com>:
> You're right of course--knowing which OS would help.  I'm trying to get this
> to work with FreeBSD 8.x.  I got it working with two distros of Linux with
> practically no effort.  FreeBSD is not as straightforward, however, and I've
> been able to find precious little info on the subject.
> Thanks again and in advance for any insight with FreeBSD.
> Mike Pugh

Hello,
 I'd recommend to start with:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-dhcp.html
then install isc dhcp client from ports.
Take a look at:
http://www.freshports.org/net/isc-dhcp42-client/
"""
- The client and server can only operate DHCPv4 or DHCPv6 at a time,
not both. To use both protocols simultaneously, two instances of the
relevant daemon are required, one with the '-6' command line option.
"""
You may consider configuring one instance (v4) via /etc/rc.conf - by
adding ,,ifconfig_<interface>="DHCP"'' to /etc/rc.conf and editing
/etc/rc.local to add /usr/local/sbin/dhclient -6 <interface> (assuming
that /usr/local is the path for installed ports). Of course - don't
forget to modify "dhclient_program=" appropriately.
Other option to consider is to use only rc.local to start both daemons:
 /usr/local/sbin/dhclient -6 <interface>
 /usr/local/sbin/dhclient <interface>

Best regards,
Łukasz Siemiradzki