Is there any protection mechanism for a spamming dhcp client?

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Thu Feb 3 09:56:34 UTC 2011

Le 03/02/2011 10:41, Jürgen Dietl a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I am new to this mailing list. So I see a big "Hello World" and I hope
> to meet interesting people here.
>
> I have the following question:
>
> I am running ISC DHCP and BIND latest Version and I have a printer that
> even if it owns an IP-Address it makes thousands of DHCP-Requests per
> seconds. Till somebody powered off the printer the dhcp server got
> 590.000 dhcp requests. Of course the pool was empty. I know I can
> prevent such things with enabling dhcp snooping on network equipment but
> is there any mechanism that I can do some protection on the server. For
> example if the server would notice that it is always the same client
> that asked for an address it should say NO and ignore the client, or put
> him in a database to refuse any action etc. Is there a way to implement
> this? Is there any mechanisme?

No answer from me, but I second the question, as I'm experiencing the
same issue (except the OMG-rate you're undergoing) : on a very small
bunch of hosts, either the work well in DHCP mode but still request too
frequently an IP, either some STATIC-IP setup hosts are even asking DHCP
lease...        It's a mad world...

--
Nicolas Ecarnot