Limit DHCP requests with iptables - problem: Router

Jürgen Dietl juergen.dietl at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 8 07:32:51 UTC 2011

Hello again,

many thanx for all your answers. English is not my native language but I
will try best  as I can to point out one particular part of my problem.

I have about 30 K Clients. In case of a client error where the Client start
spamming the server with DHCP requests I dont know which Client it is. It
can be any client in the network. So I dont know the client´s MAC address.
The 2nd problem is that the clients are mostly not in the same network. So I
use an IP-helper on the router and the client has the MAC address of the
router in its MAC-field.

The only place where you can see the clients real mac-address is in the dhcp
header.

So I look for a solution that dynamically looks in every packet - especially
in the dhcp header - that arrives at the server and prohibit that there come
too many dhcp requests from the same machine. In this case the server should
ignore any packet from this client - which can be any client of the 30 K I
mentioned before. The easiest way would be that intelligent is in the isc
dhcp server because the server knows the real client address. But this
server has no possibility of traffic control - except reducing the general
rate which would limit my dhcp server in total.

So I cannot work with a fix client address.

I dont know if its true but I was told that iptables is so intelligent that
you can limit a traffic that comes from the same mac all the time. So you
can limit flooding from the same host.

Hope this makes my problem a bit clearer.

thanx a lot,
cheers,
Juergen