How to get UUID/GUID of a client

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 10:46:00 UTC 2011

Ben wrote:

>I try many options to get the UUID/GUID of a client in a boot
>process, but no one return the UUID/GUID.
>
>I know that "hardware" option with "binary-to-ascii(10, 8, " :",
>hardware)" function give the MAC address, but I also noticed that
>"uid" option exists, but how to convert it to string?

If you look in the leases file you will see a field for client uid,
it is a simple string with any non-printing octets escaped as octal
codes.

>In fact, I would like to give a static IP address static by the
>UUID/GUID, not by the MAC address.

That's not currently supported as a fixed-address statement. However,
you could use the "reserved" qualifier to tie a lease to a specific
client. If you know the UID in advance, then you can create a dummy
lease with an IP address and UID - and adding "reserved". That will
then reserve that address to only be used by a client with that uid -
once the client boots, the dummy lease will be replaced with a real
one.
Alternatively, you can simply set the lease as reserved after the
client has booted.

Setting reserved can be done by editing the lease file (after
stopping the server), or I believe it can be done with OMAPI.

--
Simon Hobson