full socket buffers

Friesen, Don SSBC:EX Don.Friesen at gov.bc.ca
Wed Feb 9 15:12:19 UTC 2011

   I'll clear out the thread because this is not directly related, but back to the buffer issue.  If I recall, DHCPD can log to SYSLOG.  We don't, but that's us.  I had an issue a few years ago catching SYSLOG from remote devices where a DNS timeout caused SYSLOG to fill the UDP buffer and start to drop packets.  Have you checked SYSLOG for unresolved DNS?   An extreme long shot, but if your DHCPD logged messages were causing DNS resolution timeouts, that may chock your buffer and drop packets.  The restart interval of DHCPD would permit the SYSLOG to catch up, but it would quickly fill again once DHCPD was restarted.

Don