Running DHCP over PPP interface

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Feb 9 15:59:44 UTC 2011

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:34:15 -0700, David W. Hankins wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 03:58:45PM -0400, Dutta, Ashutosh wrote:
>> Can DHCP INFORM be sent over broadcast, otherwise the mobile has to
>> know the IP address of the DHCP relay or the server if it has to use it
>> in unicast mode.
>> Any idea when DHCP INFORM support would be available, it seems like a
>> very useful tool.
>
> A contributor has supplied patches, which I have not yet had time to
> look at.
>
> It should appear in 3.1.0, which is presently under development.

Did this ever happen?  I can't seem to find any mention of it in the
manpage.

If not, does anyone have any ideas about a dhcp client that can do
dhcpinform and provides the same nice shell-script level scriptability
that dhclient can do?

My use case, like the OPs is to get additional network information over a
PPP link that PPP's existing protocols cannot provide.

Cheers,
b.