How to get UUID/GUID of a client

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 21:42:08 UTC 2011

Ben wrote:

>>If you look in the leases file you will see a field for client uid, it
>>is a simple string with any non-printing octets escaped as octal codes.

>Currently, I haven't this field.. Are there a option to force a
>client to send his UUID?

Client specific - did you have a specific client in mind ?

Windows sends the MAC address by default.
Mac doesn't send it by default, but you can set it in the network
control panel.
Linux - depends on the client and how you configure it.
Other devices - depends on whether the manufacturer thought it worth
implementing, in most cases probably not !

Is there something you are trying to achieve ?

--
Simon Hobson