can't get option 82 data recognized by dhcpd

Adam Moffett adamlists at plexicomm.net
Tue Feb 15 14:56:01 UTC 2011

> So what could be going on?  It looks like dhcpd thinks the packet doesn't
> have any option 82 data in it.
>
> At one point I had the IP 10.191.1.100 assigned by dhcpd to this test
> device, being a Windows box it looks like it is still asking for that
> IP.  That should not make any difference, right?
>
> Are there any more debugging flags I could try turning on?  I'm pretty
> much out of ideas.
>
> Thanks,
I make pretty extensive use of that feature, so I can relate to your
difficulties.  My troubles always turned out to be some kind of
misunderstanding of what data I'm receiving.

Make a class that will give a lease to anybody and add a log line like
this to see what dhcpd thinks the remote-id and circuit-id look like.

     log(info, concat( "DEBUG-",
                       binary-to-ascii(16,8,":",option agent.remote-id),
                       "-",
                       binary-to-ascii(16,8,":",option agent.circuit-id),
                       "-",
                       binary-to-ascii(10,8,".",leased-address),
                       "-",
                       binary-to-ascii(16,8,":",substring(hardware,1,6))
                     )
        );

Should produce a log line like this:
DEBUG-[remoteid]-[circuitid]-[ipaddress]-[macaddress]

In my case the remote id and circuit id are both MAC addresses, so you
may have to adjust arguments to binary-to-ascii().