Easiest way to split users into separate classes?

Jon Chesnut Jon.Chesnut at skilouise.com
Tue Feb 22 18:55:36 UTC 2011

Apologies for the new thread - I forgot to change my subscription type from digest to individual before posting, so I'm unable to reply properly.

Brilliant solution - thanks very much.  Working great.

class "public_wireless_a" {match suffix (binary-to-ascii (2, 8, ":", suffix (hardware,1)), 1); }
        subclass "public_wireless_a" "0";

class "public_wireless_b" {match suffix (binary-to-ascii (2, 8, ":", suffix (hardware,1)), 1); }
        subclass "public_wireless_b" "1";

>Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 19:14:05 +0100
>From: Peter Rathlev
>Subject: Re: Easiest way to split users into separate classes?
>

>How about matching the last bit of the hardware address instead? That
>would leave you with only two classes to match:
>
>class "test_a" {
>        match if substring(binary-to-ascii(2, 8, "", substring(hardware, 6, 1)), 1, 1) = "0";
>}
>class "test_b" {
>        match if substring(binary-to-ascii(2, 8, "", substring(hardware, 6, 1)), 1, 1) = "1";
>}
>
>Beware that I couldn't get this to work correctly using subclasses for
>some reason, but the above seems to work fine.
>
>--
>Peter

Thanks!  Great minds apparently think alike.  :)

>Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:33:16 -0600
>From: Allie Hopkins
>Subject: Re: Easiest way to split users into separate classes?
>
>While you can certainly do this via DHCP, why can't you do this via
>the controllers?  We're a Cisco shop and the crew in charge of
>wireless handle the distribution of the clients on the controllers,
>not through us.

The access controllers (pay gateways) don't support this type of feature.  While I could put a load balancer in front of them, doing basic load balancing across the 2 gateways through DHCP is doing the trick nicely.