Debian init.d script won't start service

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sat Jan 15 00:19:57 UTC 2011

Tim Gavin wrote:
> Can anyone look at this and tell me what's wrong with it?:

You have only partially commented out a section (which probably
shouldn't be commented out).

> # It is not safe to start if we don't have a default configuration...
> #if [ ! -f /etc/default/dhcp3-server ]; then
> #       echo "/etc/default/dhcp3-server does not exist! - Aborting..."
> #       echo "Run 'dpkg-reconfigure dhcp3-server' to fix the problem."
>         exit 0
> #fi

That 'exit 0' there is exiting your script at that point.

Why comment out the surrounding parts?  It should work just fine with
the /etc/default/dhcp3-server file.  It defines the INTERFACES
variable, which is just empty by default.

Bob