Tracking historical lease information

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 23:32:23 UTC 2011

Most commercial DDI solutions offer this. For example, on a BlueCat Adonis, there's a software component that watches the dhcpd.leases file and reports all new leases back to the BlueCat Proteus that controls it. All leases are stored in a database for easy retrieval, and you can look at the history of a given IP address to see who leased it and when.

However, it sounds like you don't have the ability to migrate to a new DHCP platform. In which case, perhaps you can use a similar technique when you roll your own, or perhaps you can find a DDI solution that doesn't require replacing the box (nor your existing DHCP installation on the box); I know there's at least one such out there.

Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks