Configuring T1 & T2 Timers

Bruce Hudson Bruce.Hudson at Dal.Ca
Tue Jul 19 20:29:27 UTC 2011

>> Hi all.  Is there a way to configure the T1 and T2 values in dhcpd.conf?
>>  If so, what is the syntax?

> I believe those timers are built into the client, and are not part of
> the DHCP lease. Therefore, I don't believe there is any way to configure
> it. I've certainly never seen anything like this in the man pages.

    From a fairly quick look at the code, the T1 and T2 timers can be set
in the server and passed to the client via options 58 and 59. Earlier
versions did not allow these to be set in the configuration. The server
calculated them from the offered lease. This appears to have changed in
(at least) the latest version; apparently for DCHPv6 support.

    The options specify a number of seconds not so using them seems risky
unless you set both min-lease-time and max-lease-time to the same value
and do your own calculations.
--
Bruce A. Hudson				| Bruce.Hudson at Dal.CA
ITS, Networks and Systems		|