Some PXE-clients need different options

Per Steinar Iversen PerSteinar.Iversen at hio.no
Fri Jun 24 13:08:54 UTC 2011

My site have a few thousand PXE clients, these get their boot options from
something like this in dhcpd.conf :

class "PXE" {
         match if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient";
         option vendor-class-identifier "PXEClient";
 	next-server...

}

This has worked very well for a long time. The problem now is that a
rather large number of PXE clients suddenly need completely different boot
options. These clients are on all our subnets and they probably move
between subnets also.

The only identifier for these machines is the mac-address.

What is the most efficient method for handling this case?

-psi