Some PXE-clients need different options

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jun 24 19:30:13 UTC 2011

Per Steinar Iversen wrote:

>The problem now is that a rather large number of PXE clients
>suddenly need completely different boot options. These clients are
>on all our subnets and they probably move between subnets also.
>
>The only identifier for these machines is the mac-address.

Is that MAC address as in they are all random devices, or MAC address
as in they are all a specific manufacturer ?

If they are random devices then you are stuck using either host
declarations or classes/subsclasses (see 'man dhcpd.conf' and look
for subclassing). In either case, you are stuck entering a list of
MAC addresses to be treated differently.

If it's a case of "all devices from a specific manufacturer" then you
might be able to get away with matching on the OUI (first 3 octets of
MAC address) - see substring in (IIRC) 'man dhcpd-eval'.

--
Simon Hobson