rejected: incoming update is less critical than outgoing update

Cathy Almond cathya at isc.org
Thu Jun 30 10:39:46 UTC 2011

On 19/06/11 19:29, Face wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I Keep receiving this error on both primary and secondry:
> Jun 16 19:31:16 localhost dhcpd: bind update on 10.0.0.22 from
> MyNetwork rejected: incoming update is less critical than outgoing
> update
> Jun 16 19:31:36 localhost dhcpd: bind update on 10.0.0.19 from
> MyNetwork rejected: incoming update is less critical than outgoing
> update
> Jun 16 19:31:36 localhost dhcpd: bind update on 10.0.0.19 from
> MyNetwork rejected: incoming update is less critical than outgoing
> update
> Jun 16 19:39:14 localhost dhcpd: bind update on 10.0.0.21 from
> MyNetwork rejected: incoming update is less critical than outgoing
> update
> Jun 16 19:39:14 localhost dhcpd: bind update on 10.0.0.21 from
> MyNetwork rejected: incoming update is less critical than outgoing
> update
> Jun 16 19:52:02 localhost dhcpd: bind update on 10.0.0.18 from
> MyNetwork rejected: incoming update is less critical than outgoing
> update
> Jun 16 19:52:02 localhost dhcpd: bind update on 10.0.0.18 from
> MyNetwork rejected: incoming update is less critical than outgoing
> update
> Jun 16 19:58:02 localhost dhcpd: bind update on 10.0.0.20 from
> MyNetwork rejected: incoming update is less critical than outgoing
> update
> Jun 16 19:58:02 localhost dhcpd: bind update on 10.0.0.20 from
> MyNetwork rejected: incoming update is less critical than outgoing
> update
>
> Evrey thing seem to be working fine however i am not sure if my configration
> is correct
>

> Any help would be much appreciated.

Normally this is a log entry that can be ignored.

What's happening is the local server is sending a binding update and
hasn't yet received the ack for it. Meanwhile it receives a binding
update itself that it doesn't want to ack because that would mean that
the peer will receive the ack after the local server update.

So what it does is reject or nak the binding update to clear it from the
peer's queue - and then logs it.  The failover software is not
differentiating between critical and normal binding update rejections so
logs them all.

I've seen a situation before with this being logged often with DHCP
3.1.2 and a slightly unusual failover configuration (I think I recall
that there were some pools containing only a single lease - but I'm not
sure if that was found to be the cause of it - there were other problems
there too).

But maybe this will help point you in the right direction.