dhcrelay does not relay answers back to client

Peter Daum gator_ml at yahoo.de
Sat Mar 12 10:20:39 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 2011-03-12 01:20, Glenn Satchell wrote:

> dhcrelay (and dhcpd) use raw sockets, and only work with broadcast
> capable interfaces like ethernet, token rign and fddi. You could try
> hacking around in the source to make it work on the tunnel devices.

I started trying this, but then I discovered in the release notes, that
using point-to-point interfaces has been "fixed" at some point in time.
Now I managed to build a "dhcrelay" program that runs on my box from
the ISC DHCP 2.0 sources, which seems to work fine for my purposes :-)

Thanks Glenn and everybody else who responded -
you have been very helpful!

Regards,
                         Peter

P.S.: A little suggestion to the maintainers:
  While it certainly makes sense to skip non-broadcast devices when
  auto-discovering interfaces, I think it would be good if "dhcrelay"
  actually used all interfaces that have been explicitly listed on the
  command line. Right now, in my situation it will (in debug mode)
  still say "Listening on Socket/tun0" even though this is obviously
  not the case ...