ddns + DHCPv6 on WinXP : collecting host-identifiers or eui-64 generation from lease file?

sub at nryc.fr sub at nryc.fr
Tue Mar 15 08:42:58 UTC 2011

Hello,

I'm trying to use DDNS and DHCPv6 on WinXP workstations (with no clients
updates).

So far DDNS and DHCPv6 works but only if I use "host" statements with
the host-identifier of the workstation referenced.

Apparently the client (Dibbler 0.7.2) doesn't provide its name
correctly, I have "Unable to convert dhcp6.fqdn domain name to printable
form" errors in my DHCP logs (I use the 4.1.1-P1-15 version for the server).

I'd like to make this work soon so unless somebody has successfully
achieved it, I thought about two workarounds and I'd like to have you
opinion :

  - Giving up on DHCPv6 for now, and using the DHCPv4 lease file to
automatically generate EUI-64 IPv6 address. This scenario need no
specific setup on the clients.

  - Trying to automatically maintain a host-identifier database on the
DHCPv6 server, with traffic analysis or by making the client providing
its identifier to the server.

Any help on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Nicolas