dhcp-users Digest, Vol 31, Issue 15

Derek Wang xiangshu129 at gmail.com
Sun May 8 02:51:47 UTC 2011

Hi Glenn,

thanks for your quick response!

I want to confirm with you about my understandings:
1). if the relay agent box has two interface, one is connected in the subnet
of the dhcp client
the other one is connected in the subnet of the dhcp server, then we do not
need to explicitly
specify the route, because the dhcp client use broadcast to send out the
dhcp request, after
the relay agent catch it, and then the relay agent generates new package to
the dhcp server
via unicast, as the relay agent has one interface connected in the dhcp
server's subnet, so this
works.

2). for the relay agent has only one interface, then the relay agent need to
config the route explicitly,
because the relay agent and the dhcp server are not in the same subnet, so
it needs a way to route
the new generated package to the dhcp server.

the above are my understandings, if there are some misunderstanding in that,
please correct!

thanks in advance!

--
Best Regards,