dhcp-users Digest, Vol 31, Issue 16

Derek Wang xiangshu129 at gmail.com
Mon May 9 05:14:05 UTC 2011

Simon, you mentioned in last paragraph that we also need to make sure the
client can contact the server via unicast after
got the IP in the client side, it's right because the client need to send
the DHCPREQUEST packet to the dhcp server to renew
the information.

But If the client can not contact dhcp server via unicast, like without
correct route info, then what will happen?
I think the client will time out after the max-lease-time, then the client
will initiate the DHCPDISCOVER again,
and the relay will do the left work like before. But I tried that in
Solaris, the result is not like what I assume. Actually
the server side see the DHCPDISCOVER packet, but the server will not return
the DHCPOFFER to the relay, then to
the client. And when I return to check the client's expire info, and the
result is 1969 Wed Dec 31 23:59:59 1969, but the
output is 2011 Mon May 09 04:53:23 2011 after the client get the dhcp info
successfully first time. It's so weird. Is that
expected?

thanks!
--
Best Regards,