Using isc dhcpd to only update reverse DNS zone for selected hosts

Kristian Pedersen kristian.pedersen at vejen-net.dk
Mon Nov 7 11:11:31 UTC 2011

On 11/07/2011 07:54 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Tom Schmitt wrote:
>
>> - activate DDNS-updates again
>> - add to the subnets (or classes) where you don't wan't to update the
>> domain this statement:
>> do-forward-updates off;
This is what I am trying to do, however it does not update the reverse
records with the ddns-hostname and ddns-domainname I have configured in
the host config. The manual suggests it will only update reverse with
do-forward-updates set to off if the client supplies an FQDN, which it
does not in my case.

> Bear in mind that there will be no list of such domain names available
> in advance. As I red it, this is one of those "customer wants
> <something>" situations, and until the customer comes along with their
> request, you have no idea what it will be.
>
> Personally, I'd need a lot of convincing* to use an ISP that couldn't
> offer a fixed address and fixed reverse DNS record(s) to go with it.
> * Meaning roughly, there wasn't any other reasonable option.

Correct, I dont know which private domains my customers use before they
contact me and request a custom reverse record.

For commercial use I agree this is not the way to supply static ip /
reverse DNS, however this is a residential product and most of the time
"static IP" is just for reaching their home-server/NAS from the Internet
and I am not even sure why they care about the reverse record.

Regards,

Kristian